Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Cordia's Birthday!

It's fun having a birthday in a country that's 14 hours ahead of your home country...then it's like it's your birthday for 2 days! My 24th birthday wasn't too wild. It didn't really get out of hand, but it was certainly meaningful. It started out on Wednesday when we got a package from Becky. And you may not believe me when I say that THERE WAS A CAKE IN THE PACKAGE! That's right...a delicious, moist cake mailed all the way from home! And it was scrumptious. It really was moist and perfect. It even came with birthday candles, so of course, even though I had several days to go, we went ahead an lit the candles, enjoyed a solo rendition of "Happy Birthday," and dug into the cake. Yummy!

Then on Sunday, Mitch baked me my favorite chocolate cake recipe ever: Perfectly Chocolate Hershey's Cake. It was perfectly chocolately, but it wasn't too cakey. Turns out, baking in a toaster oven doesn't produce the same results as you would expect from a regular oven.

Despite what it looks like, I had actually been awake for several hours in this photo. Ha! I guess I just hadn't looked in the mirror.


On Monday, I got a strange looking package from my family....my co-workers guessed that it was a nice painting, but I assured them that it was probably just shaped like that because Mom and Will had duck taped a recycled box together....


Looks like we were both right! The box was made from random pieces of boxes and duck tape, but it had a painting inside!....along with other surprises. Ha! Mom's bag lady habits came in handy! What an awesome display of gifts...they were all super glued, hot glued or taped to the board. Candy, snacks, a Texas Rangers baseball cap from Gavin, some new pants, my sister's regional track video and one act play video, sunglasses, and letters...


A double layered gift. Under all the goodies was a painting my mom made for me. :)


Believe it or not, this was the first of Cordia's birthdays that we have been able to spend together since we met.

May 24, 2006 - Mitch is taking summer classes in College Station, TX, and Cordia is on a vacation to Oregon
May 24, 2007 - Cordia is at home in Sunray, TX, and Mitch is studying abroad in Australia
May 24, 2008 - Cordia is at home again, and Mitch is at the Grand Canyon
May 24, 2009 - Cordia and Mitch are together, in their cozy little apartment in Daegu, South Korea.

I'm very happy that Cordia and I were able to spend this one together finally. I hadn't realized how special celebrating the birthday of the one you love, actually in the presence of that one, is. Given all my adventurous excuses for missing her previous birthdays, I'll say that this was my most favorite May 24 in all my life.

-Us

7 comments:

BlackJackMama said...

That sounds so fantastic! Happy Birthday!

holl_42 said...

Hope you had a wonderful birthday!!! Love ya!

Seth said...

That's awesome man. I sent you an email, by the way... did you get it?

tavian said...

I like how you accessorized a little differently for each photo. Are you making a catalog on the side Cordia?

Anonymous said...

This message is for Mitch.

Talked to your Mom and Dad last night. Wanted to say Hi from Latch, Texas. Haven't seen you in a long time. I like your blog.

Christine said...

What a great gift from your family, Cordi. They're so awesome. And Mitch, you deserve an "awwwww" for your words about Cordi's birthday. Very sweet! Y'all are lucky to have eachother and this experience to share.

becca said...

hahaha that first picture of you is awesome. it reminds me of college when we wouldn't shower for days and days.